At Thursday’s regular meeting, the Board of Trustees of Neosho County Community College approved the fiscal year 2019-2020 Budget for publication. The publication indicates a “flat” mil rate over the last year’s amount with no change to the rate of 37.426 mils. The public hearing on the proposed budget will be held on Thursday, August 8, at 5:30 pm in room 105 of the Sanders Building.
The board also approved the recommendation to name Ben Smith to Emeritus status. The policy grants the emeritus status in honor of employees with 15 or more years of service to Neosho County Community College at the time of the employee’s retirement or passing. Smith just retired after 34 years of service. The honor includes:
• the employee’s name added to the Emeritus Faculty, Administrator and Employee plaque
• a certificate of status
• lifetime free admission to college events
• a continuation of employee discount at the bookstore
In other business the board:
• approved purchasing the college’s athletic injury insurance through United States Fire Insurance Company for $110,950.00 with catastrophic insurance from Mutual of Omaha in the amount of $12,168.00 for the 2019-2020 academic year.
• approved raises for the next contract year for all non-faculty. The faculty raises were handled last month, and many of the grant personnel raises will be on the agenda next month.
Non-faculty employees will receive salary increases for their 2019-2020 employment contracts as follows:
1. Any hourly employee making less than $26,000.00 shall receive a 75¢ an hour salary increase.
2. Any hourly employee making greater than or equal to $26,000.00 shall receive a 4 percent salary increase and an additional 25¢ an hour increase.
3. Salary employees will receive a 4 percent salary increase.
• approved changes to the Level Hourly Pay Range Chart and 12 month fulltime non-grant management support minimum pay.
• approved the bid from Thompson Brothers, Chanute, to provide gas for the welding program.
• approved the changes to the Residence Hall handbook for the year 2019-20.
In personnel resignations accepted:
• Jessica Fantini, Director of Residence and Student Life.
• Mindy Covey, Psychology Instructor.
• Reena Thomas, English Instructor. Her last day is effective August 1.
• Steven Lamer, ABE Instructor – Ottawa Campus. His last day will be July 31,.
• Caleb Hecker, Assistant Director of Residence and Student Life. His last day will be July 17.
• Cristhian Guzman, Assistant Cheer and Dance Coach.
• Jarryd Gray, Assistant Track Coach.
• Khiera Almanza, Coordinator of Residence and Student Life pending board approval to Director of Residence and Student Life. Her last day will be August 5.
• Promotion of Khiera Almanza as Director of Residence and Student Life.
• Azaira Shelton as Coordinator of Residence and Student Life.
• Stephen Dowell as Dean for Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness.
• Cambria Krentz as Administrative Assistant for the Dean for the Ottawa & Online Campus - PT.
• Yuya Nakamura as Assistant Athletic Trainer, contingent on attainment of visa.
• Michaela Trobough as Assistant Cheer/Dance Coach.
• Michael McGruder as Assistant Track Coach.